Who does not like to have a rewarding career? After putting in a significant amount of time towards earning a degree, it is not surprising at all for someone to want a career and a job that pays him or her back. Being a Physician Assistant is one such job that is rewarding in every way along with having the satisfaction from helping others. This is what exactly makes the Physician Assistant profession the top-most fastest-growing well-paid occupations in the United States. In order to become a Physician Assistant, you are required to have completed one of the following programs: Certificate, Associate’s Degree, Bachelor’s Degree, or Master’s Degree from an accredited Physician Assistant School. A Physician Assistant Program generally takes up to 2 years to complete and the median cost of graduating from a Physician Assistant School is about $61,080. We will briefly discuss some of the most popular states in the US for completing the Physician Assistant program and the prominent institutes in these areas.
Physician Assistant Programs in California
California, being United State’s most populous state has plenty of good colleges and universities. Apart from the good education system there, it is also known for its ethnical and cultural diversity. If you live in California and looking to become a Physician Assistant, then your best option would be to get yourself enrolled at the Stanford University School of Medicine located in the city of Palo Alto. It is one of the most popular Physician Assistant Schools in California for completing the degree as the program is offered at all the different levels such as Certificate Program, Associate’s, Bachelor’s, and Master’s Degree.
If you are looking for a University that exclusively offers the Physician Assistant program at the Master’s Degree level, then you have two other options. Both, the University of Southern California in Alhambra and the Western University of Health Sciences in Pomona could be your best bets. California currently has over 6700 Physician Assistants working in various medical settings and there are tons of other opportunities for new graduates as soon as they step out of the PA school.
Physician Assistant Programs in New York
Living in a dynamic city while doing what you love the most, seems like a dream for the majority. However, if you want to become a Physician Assistant, that dream is not so farfetched after all. All thanks to the State of New York for having the best of institutes that offer Physician Assistant Programs . New York City, located on one of the world’s most beautiful natural harbor, has recently emerged as being a popular choice for most undergraduate students. It is also one of the most populous cities in the US and is known to house over 6900 clinically practicing Physician Assistants, the largest for a city yet! The Touro College in Manhattan offers the Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees for the Physician Assistant programs. Another good Physician Assistant school that offers a Master’s Degree level programs as well as Certificate programs is the Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences.
Although the Master’s program is not offered at Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education, this Medical School prides itself in offering unique and challenging Certificate and Bachelor’s Degree programs leading to careers in Medicine.
Physician Assistant Programs in Florida
Florida is famous for its longest coastline in the United States. That is probably why it is able to attract so many people from all over the country while holding the title of the fourth most populous state. If you are someone who can perfectly balance work and fun, then this place is for you. You can enjoy the year-round tropical weather while studying to become a Physician Assistant at a well-known university. The University of Florida in Gainesville and Barry University in Miami Shores are two famous Physician Assistant schools in Florida and both offer the programs at Certificate and Master’s Degree levels. If you are opting for a Master’s Degree, then you have another option for a PA school, apart from the two, in Jacksonville at the Nova Southeastern University. According to the US statistics, there are about 4230 Physician Assistants employed in the Florida.
- Proper Accreditation : It is very important for students to consider only those PA schools that have been approved by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA). Although this organization is mostly responsible for accrediting programs at the Master’s Degree level, they also accredit programs at other levels as well. To graduate with a degree program that has not been recognized by the ARC-PA, puts the degree holder at a risk of not being eligible for the Physician Assistant certifying exam and the state licensure. This might result in them not being able to practice their profession at all. Check out the article on how to become a Physician Assistant for more information.
- Experienced Dedicated Faculty : Another important thing to consider while choosing a good Physician Assistant school is the qualifications of the faculty of that department. If you want to excel and be the best at what you do, it is very important to learn from the best on that profession. Do not forget to take a quick look at the faculty’s educational background and experiences in the field.
- Lab Facilities : For any profession in the medical sciences, it is very important to get a hands-on experience. If you want to be a successful Physician Assistant, make sure to check the number of labs available to students. Also, check if the lab facilities are sufficient for the amounts of students registering in the Physician Assistant school each year before making your final decision.
- It is advisable to put in your application for more than one Physician Assistant schools at a time. Also, if possible, try going to these PA schools and getting the first-hand experiences at the campus, labs and in classes. Decide if this place is a right fit for you. If you have any questions, talk to the faculty members if you have the chance.
- Try not to pick a PA college or PA university based solely on the US college report or its ranking. Always try to get information from the current students there and see whether they like it there or not. If that is not option, then try making friends over the social networking websites to find out more about the school and the programs it offers.
- This may sound trivial, but a lot many students do this. Do not get yourself enrolled at a Physician Assistant school only because your best friend or your boyfriend/girlfriend are going to that school. It is an important decision to make and this decision may play a very important role once you have graduated and are looking for a job. Make sure to choose the PA school that is right for you as you will be the one spending most of your time there.
We wish you all the best in your Physician Assistant journey. If you found the information on Physician Assistant Schools useful, don’t forget to share this information with others by sharing it on other websites.
Bonus : Check out the following video which gives a good overview of the Physician Assistant profession.
If you found this article on Physician Assistant Schools really useful, please help us in spreading the word by sharing it on other websites.